Thursday, May 17, 2018

Waiting

Today is the day of Charlie's surgery. The drive to the surgery center was nearly an hour away and there was plenty to look at. 
We've had a lot of stormy and severe weather for more than a week.  Small streams like in the photo below are either at or near flood stage.  On Tuesday, lightning struck the ground next to a co-workers home. It found its way into her house and "electrocuted" everything that was plugged in.  Thankfully she and her family (and their dog) are all safe.  But it will be awhile before they can live in their home.  All this a reminder to take weather warnings seriously.
Even though we were late arriving at the surgery center, Charlie and I still waited, a little nervously, for the technician to come and take him to the back.

I'd been initially told that I could pickup Charlie at the end of the day and bring him home.  However, the surgeon called a couple of hours ago to discuss a few things with me, and said that he'll need to stay overnight.  I'm really disappointed he'll need to stay, but I know it's for the best.

Here at home, there's plenty to keep my mind off of everything. Our boy Jake isn't doing well. While his spirit is still willing, his body is starting to fail because of the severe arthritis in his back.  Its been a struggle the last week to keep him going. I know that this all means that our time with Jake is coming to an end. But this is his journey and we will let him set the pace and enjoy the time we have.
And even thought I'm trying to focus on Jake and the other dogs today.  I have to admit that my mind does wander back to Charlie, and now that it's after 5 PM, I wonder, when will the surgeon call me to tell me how everything has gone?   I'll bet Todd knows.

20 comments:

  1. All paws are crossed that Charlie's surgery went well today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping fingers crossed that Charlie will be home soon and heal quickly. Your nerves must be shot with his surgery and Jake's failing body. You are an angel.
    Sending big hugs your way Kim.
    Noreen and Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Charlie needs some pain meds by IV line, he is a darling.And Jake, he will let you know . Many caring thoughts with love from NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping that Charlie will be up and running again soon, maybe the surgeon is taking a precautionary measure.
    Keeping you in our prayers.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake is so handsome, life sometimes is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When the end comes for Jake, I hope that it is an easy journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paws crossed for Charlie that all went well and he will get to come home tomorrow. Prayers for Jake, we went through that with Mr Bailey's back and know how hard that is
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  8. All paws crossed for both Charlie and Jake. We are thinking good thoughts for all of you.

    Hugs and Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and all of the pups are in my heart. Sweetest faces.
    Loving Hugs,
    Gus' Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry, and do hope and pray that Charlie recovers from his surgery, and that there is no distressing news. Jake is such sweetie, and it is so sad to think that he won't be with you for much longer. I hope his remaining time is pain free.
    Todd likes to play his cards close to his chest, and isn't giving anything away !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, sending my prayers and well wishes for Charlie and Jake. I hope Charlie recovers from his surgery! I will be thinking of you and the sweet dogs, hugs to all. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have gotten some good news about handsome Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet boy Jake is. Love that face.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear . . . let us know . . .
    Caring about Charlie . . . and of course, you Kim . . .
    And caring about Jake too . . .
    Arthritis stuff is not fun for people or our doggies!
    Waiting with you for reports . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. will be waiting. and sending healing and strength giving thoughts. Charlie is just Golden Pines to me. kind of in the background but always with that special blue eye and well... just CHARLIE! and Jake will love each day as it comes. with the wisdom and contentment that only 'they' know. sending you love darling bean. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pictures of Jake and Charlie just melt my heart. As usual, bless you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a worry, no matter how many times you do it.
    We could use some of that rain....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sending power of the power to both Charlie and Jake. I hope the Charlie's surgery went well. And I hope that your journey with Jake has many more days in it. Sending hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Todd knows that everything's going to be just fine. If only you spoke terrier !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wanted you to know we are here Kim,,, sending good thoughts, prayers and love.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!