Sunday, April 29, 2018

A New Arrival and Charlie

Two weeks? Really? In many ways, it seems like more time than that has passed since I last posted, but in other ways, it's doesn't. I hope it goes without saying that I've missed my blogging friends and that glimpse into your lives and world.
I think I'll begin with a new arrival. Two weeks ago today we welcomed a new feline. He and 7 other cats were left behind when their owner moved.  The "cat-coalition" in our county trapped them, and now that they are all vetted, they are ready for new outdoor homes.
It was really a chance meeting when I was dropping off our foster cat at the vets office who had been adopted. But I'm not sure how it happened. One moment I was saying how handsome "Orangie" was, and the next minute, the cat-coordinator had him packed up and was taking him to my van and she was telling me there was no adoption fee. Gino, as I've decided to call him, will be an outdoor cat. For about another month, he'll be crated in our garage with an outside view during the day, and free inside at night, to help connect to the new place he calls home.  He's a really nice cat, and I'm hopeful and hoping he'll want to stay around. Even though he doesn't really seem to like the dogs.

I'll save some of the other news that has consumed me for another post, and tell you about Charlie.

Two weeks ago he went to the groomer for his spring haircut. When I returned to pick him up, Irina (our Romanian groomer) told me about a lump she'd noticed on Charlie's bottom. She was quite concerned about it, and told me to be sure and have it checked out by our vet. Mobile vet came last week and confirmed that it was an anal-gland-tumor that is more than likely cancer. After seeing a surgeon, we've been told there are few options.  But surgery should be done.
Before proceeding with any surgery, I felt like I should know if the cancer, which has a high probability of spreading, has metastasized anywhere else. The surgeon didn't do x-rays and so I returned to Mobile Vet to have them done. It was good news in that it doesn't appear to have spread, and Charlie's blood work looks pretty good for a dog of his respectable age (about 13).
~Waiting for the surgeon~
With this news, I've decided to move forward and do a palliative surgery to remove the single mass, and no lymph nodes even if the cancer has spread into them. I'm hoping that will give Charlie more time, and make him more comfortable. The holistic vet that sees Jake will also play a part in helping to manage Charlie's health.

For several reasons, I've opted to not have the surgeon who did the console not do the surgery. Instead, I'll be contacting another place to see about getting it scheduled.  I'm hoping that "this place" will be able to take Charlie as a patient. When and if they do, I'll fill  you in on those details.

Of course I'm worried about him. But I am optimistic about everything, and I feel like we have a good plan going forward. Charlie is feeling well and that really helps too. I'll end by sharing one of Charlie's x-rays. Mobile Vet commented when reviewing it that Charlie has a big heart. I told him I didn't need to see an x-ray to know that. Those of  you who are longtime readers of this blog, know that too.
Thank-you all for stopping by.  I hope you all are doing well, and I so look forward to catching up on your news. 
~Max catching up on his TV watching~ 

28 comments:

  1. Oh, hoping he will have some extended quality time at least for a while. So hard to get news like that when everything starts to go well. Had to laugh at the revolving door on the cat situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about Charlie, but do hope that the removal of the tumour will give him more time, and a continued good quality of life. It's so distressing when our fur babies are diagnosed with something as devastating as any cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not surprise Gino came home with you, he does look a very handsome fella!
    Luffs and hugs to Charlie, sending positive thoughts for a easy surgery and fast recovery
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go with the vet you trust. He is a handsome lad with that huge heart, love taken in and given out so freely. And as for a new ginger/orange Gino, that is so wonderful. There will be a big heart there too, full of thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh darling bean... heart stopped a little here hearing about your best travelling partner. Charlie is just wonderful Charlie. i love him so and always have from the very first. it's hard to believe he's as old as he is.
    i hope Gino will love Golden Pines as much as we do! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie is one I call . . . “golden treasure.”
    I hope he weathers the surgery okay . . .
    Head pat and hug Charlie!
    (Same for “mom” too . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a handsome cat Gino is. I hope he adapts well with the songs.

    Oh, poor Charlie. I know that you will do your best for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We hope Gino likes hanging around your home. Our paws are crossed for Charlie and his upcoming surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know some people who are like cancer of the anal area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was pretty sneaky how the vet tricked you into keeping Gino. They should have known you need a cat that likes dogs...

    Prayers for Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending lots of pug prayers for Charlie. We know you will do whatever is best for him to keep him happy and comfortable
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to Gino, hope he adjusts well. And big hugs to Charlie from us. You are so good to give him a chance at some more time with you. We hope the surgery goes very well.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, sending hugs, prayers and well wishes for Charlie. I hope all goes well with the surgery. Also, sending a hello to the new kitty Gino. Wishing you all a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for the groomer. Hopefully, it has been found early, but it sounds like you're getting a good plan in place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awe Charlie !! Gracie has many lumps, some growing to be very big. Our groomer found one on her hind end that she was concerned about and suggested we get a second opinion since our vet diagnosed it as just a fatty tumor. Fortunately Second opinion came back as the same. So we just keep an eye on her... Charlie and Gracie are around the same age. She will be 14 in September. Will be praying for sweet Charlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Were sending a million healing magic bubbles to make Charlie all better! I know you will find the best surgeon to do the job.. We love Charlie,, and were sending lots of love too! Were happy for Gino!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome, Gino! You are a very handsome kitty!

    As for Charlie, we are all pulling for your wonderful boy with a huge heart. I'm glad that he's feeling well, and that he's a candidate for palliative surgery. I know how you love him, and I hope that it helps him be comfy and happy for a long time to come. POTP to Charlie and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Prayers for Charile. A big heart is the best kind of problem <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please keep us posted. Hope everything works out for your sweet Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have our paws crossed for Charlie. He's special to us because he reminds us of Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Charlie is such a sweetie. When I think about him, I am always reminded of his love of cats and how he loves to keep them company.
    Praying that all goes smoothly for our big hearted boy. He is a cornerstone of Golden Pines.
    Hugs,
    Gus' Mom

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my I do hope all works out for Charlie and for you to , I will pray for you both and for your new kitties to that all goes well . Miggs has lumps and bumps but they are all just fat deposits thankfully ! Again fingers crossed all is good and goes smoothly .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness! Poor Charlie, and what a lot you have to deal with Kim. Thinking of you and Charlie and knowing you'll make the best decisions for him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dearest Charlie will certainly be in my prayers, hoping that all will go very well. Gino is darling; I'm very partial to orange cats and he's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie, but hope things will work out so he will have a few more good years. I didn't know he was that old, but then I have visited here for so many years now. Remember Hamlet? Of course I know you do. He was my favorite and that was a long time ago now. Talk about big hearts - that's why the orange kitty is with you now. You have such a big heart. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!